How Are Smart Lighting Products Being Used In Schools?
Lighting is a crucial element of creating an environment conducive to learning. This means classrooms and other educational facilities need to be well-lit whenever students and faculty are present. Unfortunately, traditional fixtures can be expensive to operate over a long period of time, and in many cases, they are left on when they don’t need to be. They also offer little in the way of flexibility, giving the same amount of illumination no matter what the circumstances.
As administrators look for solutions that offer efficiency as well as adaptability, they are turning to smart lighting for schools. These systems not only offer more control over which lights are used and when, but they also deliver a greater degree of customization. Whether illumination needs to be bright to help students focus during classes or softer for after-hours library study sessions, smart lighting allows users to find the perfect setting.
What’s more, these intelligent school lighting systems utilize energy-efficient LEDs. This means they can create significant cost savings for institutions of all sizes. If you’re ready to learn more about the benefits of LED lighting in school facilities, keep reading.
How Smart Lighting Benefits Schools
By offering a greater level of efficiency and control than traditional setups, classroom smart lighting fixtures have the potential to bring significant benefits. Their many features include:
- Bluetooth control: Rather than operating fixtures individually with switches throughout the building, smartphone apps and other connected devices give users the opportunity to control the entire property from a single place.
- Occupancy sensing: Much of the energy wasted by large properties results from lights left on when no one needs them. With motion sensors, however, lights can switch themselves off automatically when no one is detected in the room.
- Daylight harvesting: Many classrooms have large windows that let in a lot of natural daylight. Smart illumination systems can detect this light and adjust the artificial illumination accordingly, ensuring that no unnecessary energy is consumed.
- Time scheduling: Administrators can schedule lights to be turned on only if they are needed. This prevents lights from staying on accidentally when no one is present.
- Group editing: Older systems require large groups of lights to be on or off at the same time, regardless of how many are actually required. Smart lighting solutions, however, allow for each fixture to be controlled independently. Users can create an appropriate lighting plan for every room.
- Scene selection: The ability to control the brightness and intensity of each LED means teachers and administrators can illuminate each space according to need.
Studies have consistently found that better lighting is critical for K-12 educational facilities. Retrofitting existing fluorescent and incandescent systems with LEDs can enable schools to reap the benefits for learners.
Learn What Litetronics Offers Schools
As a recognized leader in smart lighting solutions, Litetronics has the expertise and selection to help educational facilities take advantage of this technology. Whether your institution wants to upgrade with our LED retrofit kits or to build from the ground up with our LED Smart Volumetric Troffer, we can guide you through the process. For more information, get in touch today!